Saturday, April 21, 2012

Experience Changes Everything


Experience Changes Everything


It’s easy to assume you like things because everyone else does. It’s also easy to assume you like something because it’s all you’ve ever known. This can be a good thing, or a bad thing.

If you are never exposed to new things, how can you accurately determine if you like it? I’m sure there are many things you thought you wouldn’t like until you tried it. Which is why it’s important to remember that experience changes everything.

Seeing new and exotic things can completely change your mindset, which is the best part of life. You don’t always have to stay the same. In fact, you should be always changing, growing, improving. If you’re not, why are you here? What are you contributing?

It doesn’t mean change who you are, but you may be surprised at what you learn when you put yourself in situations you may not feel comfortable. I’m sure there are many times I thought I didn’t like something, only to try it and realize what I was missing out on.

I remember the first time I went to a Chinese restaurant I didn’t like it. It smelled funny, the food looked weird, and you had to eat with chopsticks. I hated it. I ended up eating fried chicken only. But since I decided to give it a try, now it’s one of my favorite foods.

Growing up I always wanted to have lots of money, be famous, having the biggest and best things. I still want those things to a certain degree, but now that I have experienced life, the world, my mind has slightly changed. I don’t need the biggest, the most, but I do still want the best. But more importantly, I want to live. Like really live. See and do everything I can. Your time is limited, so you have to decide how you want to spend it.

Do you want to chase money? Chase objects? I want to look back on my life and say “I did that. I went there. I know that.” Those are the important things in life, experiences.

Think about things you initially didn’t like, or more importantly, thought you wouldn’t like, and then tried, and now are some of your favorite things. I used Chinese food, but that is just one of hundreds of things that have changed over time.

I will go into much more detail on this topic in my upcoming book since I think it is an important thing. If everyone really opened their mind, their eyes, and bodies to new experiences the world would be a better, more accepting place.

So next time you say you don’t like something, make sure you have tried it first. Because, experience changes everything.

No comments:

Post a Comment